✟ God the Creator ✟
The Divine Work of Creation
|Revealed Truth (Defined Dogma)
Through sin our first parents lost Sanctifying Grace
and provoked the anger and the indignation of God.
|Lay Catechist Notes|
The consequences of the actions of Adam and Eve that were contrary to God's command included the loss of the indwelling of God Himself as well His overall anger and displeasure. The loss of Sanctifying Grace directly implies the loss of supernatural life in their souls (i.e. their souls became dead souls).
|Divine Revelation (Scriptural Proof)|
- 8And when they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in paradise at the afternoon air, Adam and his wife hid themselves from the face of the Lord God, amidst the trees of paradise. 9And the Lord God called Adam, and said to him: Where art thou? 10And he said: I heard thy voice in paradise; and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself. (Genesis 3:8-10)
|Catechism of the Catholic Church|
- 399 Scripture portrays the tragic consequences of this first disobedience. Adam and Eve immediately lose the grace of original holiness. They become afraid of the God of whom they have conceived a distorted image - that of a God jealous of his prerogatives.
|Ecumenical Council Documents|
- General Council of Trent (1545)
- Decree Concerning Original Sin
- "1. If anyone does not confess that the first man, Adam, when he transgressed the commandment of God in paradise, immediately lost the holiness and justice in which he had been constituted, and through the offense of that prevarication incurred the wrath and indignation of god , and thus death with which God had previously threatened him, and, together with death, captivity under his power who thenceforth had the empire of death, that is to say, the devil, and that the entire Adam through that offense of prevarication was changed in body and soul for the worse, let him be anathema."
|Papal Encyclical Documents|
- Mystici Corporis Christi (1943) - The Mystical Body of Christ - Pius XII
- " All know that the father of the whole human race was constituted by God in so exalted a state that he was to hand on to his posterity, together with earthly existence, the heavenly life of divine grace. But after the unhappy fall of Adam, the whole human race, infected by the hereditary stain, lost their participation in the divine nature, and we were all "children of wrath ."
|Fathers and Doctors of the Church Documents|
- De Civitate Dei (Book 13) (426) - City of God - Augustine
- Chapter 13: What Was the First Punishment of the Transgression of Our First Parents.
- "For, as soon as our first parents had transgressed the commandment, divine grace forsook them , and they were confounded at their own wickedness; and therefore they took fig-leaves (which were possibly the first that came to hand in their troubled state of mind), and covered their shame; for though their members remained the same, they had shame now where they had none before. They experienced a new motion of their flesh, which had become disobedient to them, in strict retribution of their own disobedience to God . For the soul, revelling in its own liberty, and scorning to serve God, was itself deprived of the command it had formerly maintained over the body. And because it had willfully deserted its superior Lord, it no longer held its own inferior servant; neither could it hold the flesh subject, as it would always have been able to do had it remained itself subject to God. Then began the flesh to lust against the Spirit, Galatians 5:17 in which strife we are born, deriving from the first transgression a seed of death, and bearing in our members, and in our vitiated nature, the contest or even victory of the flesh."